Cooking outside is everyones favourite summer past time, and most people cannot wait until the sun shines for 5 days straight or more to break out the BBQ. But there are some variations of cooking outside that can be dangerous.
In 2022 Will Tyler, 11, had to have skin grafts from his right thigh to his left foot after stepping on an extremely hot piece of sand where a BBQ had been. He's been left with lifelong scars and suffered severe mental trauma, including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), in the two years since the accident. Read more about this here.
Why using a portable BBQ on sand can be dangerous ?
Sand is a good insulator, which means it doesn't transfer heat very well. When you use a portable BBQ on the beach and put hot coals on top of the sand, the sand absorbs the heat and holds onto it for a long time. This is why the sand can stay hot for hours after the BBQ has been put out. Additionally, the sand can reflect the heat back up, which can make it feel even hotter. It's important to use caution when using a BBQ on the beach and to make sure the coals are completely put out and cool before leaving the area.
Here are some ways you can ensure you are cooking safety when outside.
1. Choose a safe location: Make sure you set up your BBQ in an open area, away from any flammable materials such as trees or bushes. Never use a BBQ indoors or in an enclosed space.
2. Use proper equipment: Use a BBQ that is in good condition and has been tested for safety. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby, as well as tongs and other utensils to handle the food.
3. Follow the instructions: Make sure you read the instructions for your BBQ and follow them carefully. This will help you avoid any accidents or injuries.
4. Use the right fuel: Use the right type of fuel for your BBQ, and never use gasoline or other flammable liquids to start the fire.
5. Clean the grill: Before using your BBQ, make sure to clean the grill to remove any leftover food or debris. This will help prevent flare-ups and ensure that your food cooks evenly.
6. Check for leaks: If you're using a propane BBQ, make sure to check the gas lines for leaks before using it. You can do this by spraying a solution of soapy water on the connections and looking for bubbles.
7. Use a meat thermometer: To ensure that your food is cooked to a safe temperature, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat. This will help you avoid foodborne illnesses.
By following these tips, you can enjoy cooking safely with your portable BBQ outside. Happy grilling!
What Portable grill do we recommend?
The Kenluck Party Grill
The Kenluck Party Grill is a portable BBQ grill that is designed for outdoor cooking. It is made of high-quality stainless steel and features a compact design that makes it easy to transport. The grill has a large cooking surface that can accommodate up to 8 people and is perfect for cooking a variety of foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and vegetables. The Party Grill also comes with a removable drip tray that makes cleaning up after cooking a breeze. Additionally, the grill has adjustable temperature control so you can cook your food to the desired temperature. Overall, the Kenluck Party Grill is a great option for outdoor cooking and is perfect for camping, tailgating, and backyard barbecues.
Is the Kenluck Party Grill easy to use?
Yes, the Kenluck Party Grill is easy to use. It features a compact design that makes it easy to transport and set up. The grill has adjustable temperature control, which makes it easy to cook your food to the desired temperature. Additionally, the Party Grill comes with a removable drip tray that makes cleaning up after cooking a breeze. Overall, the Kenluck Party Grill is a great option for outdoor cooking and is perfect for those who want a portable and easy-to-use BBQ grill.
Take a look here.